The Twos class is for children who are two years old by September 1st of the current school year. Typically two year olds love playing with other children and learning new things. They are inquisitive and they learn as they play by collecting information from the environment and then connecting it to what they already know and understand thus building basic concepts about their world. Two year olds use language, both receptive and expressive, to communicate with others. They ask questions, offer ideas, and begin to understand facial expressions. They are aware of feelings, their own and, often times, other people’s feelings. This is an important time for the child to be socially active and grow in understanding and control of their emotions.
Responsive and caring teachers guide two year olds to:
- Function with increasing comfort in a variety of environments.
- Understand with increasing regularity what behaviors are expected and how to follow simple directions.
- Participate in coordinated play with other children and in group experiences.
- Respond to others children’s feelings with caring behavior (empathy).
- Begin to attempt self-help skills such as toileting, hand washing, etc.
- Increase both their large and small motor skills.
- Sustain attention until they complete a simple activity despite distractions.
- Increase both receptive, (listening) and expressive, (speaking), language skills.
- Build vocabulary; and understand and enjoy stories/books.
- Have fun with other children and teachers as they learn through play.
Twos Class Schedule
- 9:00-9:30am Children are signed-in, coats and backpacks put away, escorted into the room and hand washing is done. Children explore the room and enjoy tabletop activities.
- 9:30-10:15 Structured activities are offered in an open classroom environment and children are encouraged to explore prepared activity centers.
- 10:15-10:30 Clean-up time and group activity, i.e. story, finger-play story or music & movement such as dance, rhythm sticks, etc.
- 10:30-10:50 Outdoor time. Large motor activities take place in large motor room on inclement weather days. Socialization is facilitated and encouraged.
- 10:50-11:15 Wash hands and prepare for snack, including the prayer before eating. Enjoy snack. Teachers sit with the children and encourage communication and appropriate behavior.
- 11:15-11:30 Group time with a read-aloud story, or finger-play or flannel board story.
- 11:30am Dismissal time- Parents pick their children up on the eastside of the playground or in the classroom. Parents must sign-out their children.