Curriculum & Methods
Our curriculum is rigorous but achievable for the students we admit.
- Bible: The curriculum integrates the truths of God's Word, the Bible into each subject area -- indeed into every aspect of PCA life. God's truth is the integrating core of our curriculum and our school. It illuminates and informs our choices morally, socially and academically.
- Reading is taught from our Early Childhood program through the phonics method. This enables young readers to learn new words they encounter while reading independently -- speeding the process of vocabulary acquisition, fluency and comprehension.
- Writing: One of the great strengths of our curriculum is the way it builds writing skills from the youngest grades right through to grade 8. Our students learn how to do research and report their findings beginning in the primary grades. By the time they graduate 8th grade they are skillful in writing research reports which are critical parts of learning in high school and college. Our students are known for their excellent reading, research and writing skills.
- Mathematics focuses on the four basic functions of math in the lowest grades and students build computation skill without the aid of calculators. Once those skills are mastered manually, they can use the technology tools which are just that -- tools, not crutches for further learning. By graduation our students have gained proficiency in geometry, algebraic notation, and the use of data.
- Science is a key part of our curriculum and students in lower elementary grades learn the scientific method. When they reach middle school they are able to design, execute and report a major scientific research project or experiment. This builds important critical thinking and organizational skills for future success.
- History helps a person understand why the world is the way it is and helps develop an appreciation for other cultures.
- Health, Physical Education, Music and Art round out our curriculum so student develop a understanding of how to remain healthy and creative.
- Technology is integrated into learning all along the way so our students gain familiarity and proficiency in the major software suites used in high school, college and industry.
The bottom line is our students are well-prepared for their future !