Curriculum & Methods
Our curriculum is rigorous but achievable for the students we admit.
- Bible: The curriculum integrates the truths of God's Word, the Bible into each subject area -- indeed into every aspect of PCA life. God's truth is the integrating core of our curriculum and our school. It illuminates and informs our choices morally, socially and academically.
- Reading is taught from our Early Childhood program through the phonics method. This enables young readers to learn new words they encounter while reading independently -- speeding the process of vocabulary acquisition, fluency and comprehension.
- Writing: One of the great strengths of our curriculum is the way it builds writing skills from the youngest grades right through to grade 5. Our students learn how to do research and report their findings beginning in the primary grades. Our students are known for their excellent reading, research and writing skills.
- Mathematics focuses on the four basic functions of math in the lowest grades and students build computation skill without the aid of calculators. Once those skills are mastered manually, they can use the technology tools which are just that -- tools, not crutches for further learning.
- Science is a key part of our curriculum and students in elementary grades learn the scientific method and science from a Christian world view.
- History helps a person understand why the world is the way it is and helps develop an appreciation for other cultures.
- Health, Physical Education, Music and Art round out our curriculum so student develop a understanding of how to remain healthy and creative.
- Technology is integrated into learning all along the way so our students gain familiarity and proficiency in the major software suites used in high school, college and industry. We will be initiating a one-to-one tablet program in grades 1-5 starting in the 2013-2014 school year where each student will have an individual tablet computer for his/her use during the school day.
The bottom line is our students are well-prepared for their future !