Frequently asked questions

Should I tithe based on my pre-tax or after-tax income?
Ever wonder what people mean when they talk about tithing on gross or net income? The most common view is that gross earnings are the amount of God’s provision, and the tithe should be based on one-tenth of God’s provision. Taxes are generally considered payment for the privileges and services provided by the government. Though scripture doesn’t necessarily use the literal terms “net” or “gross,” it is important to note that the spirit in which we give is of greatest value to God. God tells us in II Corinthians 9:7 that “You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ‘For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.’”
What if I don’t have enough money to tithe?
Giving 10% of your income to your church can be a big – and often frightening – commitment! But if scripture tells us to honor God with our first fruits and our blessings will be overflowing, we must learn to trust that God is faithful to provide. God wants us to trust Him. Seek His guidance in how much you should give, and God will honor your faithfulness and obedience. Still not sure? Try it out.
Why do you accept credit cards?

Used within the parameters for which they were originally created, debit and credit cards can be an efficient tool for payments and purchases. Many people utilize them in place of checks or cash throughout the month, then pay off the balance in full. For these people, we offer the option of using a credit or debit card to tithe. We strongly discourage those who have ongoing credit card debt from exercising this option.

Can I give to a specific ministry?

Every dollar you give to St. Paul’s is used to support the mission of St. Paul’s. You do have when you come to give a number of options for specific causes (unified budget, food pantry, building and maintenance, global missions and stained glass windows). As other causes are accepted by the church they will be added to the list.
What is the deadline for annual contributions?
Cash contributions must be received or postmarked by December 31 to be included on your giving statement for that year. Online transactions must be initiated by December 31.
What if I have questions that aren’t covered here?
We’re here to help! Contact Scott at or call at 419-782-3751 and ask for Scott.

St. Paul's United Methodist Church